Marissa's Black Bean Veggie Burgers

Hello again. For this week, I decided to make homemade black bean veggie burgers to have on my husband's (delicious) homemade sourdough bread. He is both the bread-winner and the bread-maker in our home. What a catch! :)

I started with a recipe from allrecipes.com. Below is a picture of the ingredients that I used. I omitted the hot sauce that the recipe calls for because I felt that with the cumin & chili powder they would be spicy enough for our preference. Instead of breadcrumbs, I followed one reviewer's advice and crumbled Ritz crackers instead. I also added some whole kernels of before forming them into patties to give them some extra color & texture.




Here are the black beans, all mashed up. That part was kind of fun...

And here is the onion, pepper, and garlic before the magic bullet does its magic. And here's where I messed up this recipe. You know how the recipe says "finely chop" them? Well, I wasn't thinking right that night and pureed them instead. Oops. No good excuse... just a big oops.

Oops.
 What the "oops" meant is that the 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs that the recipe called for wasn't nearly enough to counteract the amount of liquid I had created. So I ended up dumping a TON of breadcrumbs in (in addition the Ritz) to give them a burger consistency. It ended up making them a bit dry in the end.

Since it's cold outside, I opted to bake them instead of grilling them (had it been summer, I would've totally chosen the grill!). Notice the two adult burgers and the one baby burger. :) I love being a mamma!


And here she is, on the sourdough throne:


 I had to throw this picture in, too, of the little peanut enjoying his veggie burger. :) I promise he ate it, even though he looks scared in this picture...


I'd like to try this recipe again but not mess it up. Our family still thought it was good, even considering the "oops". We topped ours with Ketchup, flavored mustard, & spinach.

Adam’s taste rating: 4 ladles
Brad’s taste rating: 3 ladles
Healthy rating: 4 ladle
Ease of prep rating: 4 ladles
Overall average: 3.75 ladles

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up