Alina's Avocado Deviled Eggs


I love deviled eggs. As in an if-there-is-only-one-deviled-egg-left-and-you-eat-it-I-will-silently-die-a-little-inside kind of love. Of course, deviled eggs are always filled to the brim with mayo (which also happens to be my favorite condiment). This equals a less than healthy addiction.

You know what I also love? Avocados. I started brainstorming... What would happen if POOF! The most unhealthy ingredient in deviled eggs (mayo) was replaced by nature's delicious source of good-for-you fat (avocado)? I was willing to bet it would be pretty amazing (and I was right).

I did a quick google search and discovered I wasn't the first person to think of this substitution. The only problem is that every recipe I found still used mayo. I wanted to go completely sans mayo, so I did it my own way. Protein + healthy avocado fat = a delicious AND healthy deviled egg! Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles!


Makes 4 servings (3 egg halves per serving). 10 minutes prep time. 25 minutes total.
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 avocado
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp vinegar
  • 2 tsp mustard powder
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp horseradish sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • paprika (for the garnish)
Boil the eggs for 9 minutes, let them sit in the warm water for a few minutes, and then run them under cold water for a few minutes.
Peel the eggs. Slice them in half (the long way) and then scoop out the yolks. Use a fork to mash the yolks in a bowl with the avocado.
Add the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard powder, chili powder, horseradish sauce, and salt and pepper. Add a little salt, taste, and then add some more until you reach the desired saltiness.

Cut a small hole in the corner of a sandwich bag, fill the bag with the avocado filling, and then squeeze the filling through the hole into the eggs. Garnish them with a little paprika and you're done.

Eat quickly! They will be gobbled up before you can say, "That was soooo gooood!"

Adam's taste rating: 4 ladles
Brad's taste rating: ? ladles
Healthy rating: 5 ladles
Ease of prep rating: 5 ladles
Overall average: ? ladles

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up