Alina's Spinach Tortillas

I've been reading some books over the last few weeks that have begun convincing me that we eat way too many carbs. I'm not necessarily advocating a carb free diet, but the simple fact is that carbs in any form turn to sugar in the bloodstream, and we have way too much sugar in our diets to begin with. As such, Adam and I have been making a conscious decision to eat less carbs overall.

One of my favorite foods is flour tortillas. Not kidding. I used to eat them with just butter and call it a meal when I was growing up. That being said, in the name of healthy eating I'm willing to try alternatives.

If you look at the nutritional content of a typical bag of flour there are about 22 grams of carbs in a quarter cup. I wanted to try my hand at making my own tortillas, and I wanted the tortillas to be healthier overall-- full of nutrients and devoid of the bad stuff. Here's what I came up with. Is it competely carb free? No. Is it much better than the typical tortilla? Absolutely.



1 10-ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed
1/2 cup hot tap water
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup masa harina
1 cup almond flour

Preheat your over to 350 degrees.
Mix the water and spinach in your food processor until thoroughly blended. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse it together. It was still fairly runny at this point, but you want it to be at least semi thick.
I covered my dough and let it sit for about 15 minutes while I did other things. I honestly don't know if that made any difference in the dough or not. I couldn't see a difference.
Spray a non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray. Pour about 1/4 cup of the mixture onto the cookie sheet and spread it as thin as possible in a circle. Add more of the dough to increase the size of the tortilla.
Traditionally you fry tortillas on a stove top. I wasted much of my dough unsuccessfully attempting this. This dough is too thin and doesn't set up enough to flip it over. Baking it is the healthier and easier option.
Bake the tortillas for about 10 minutes. They should look like they are done. Pull them out of the oven and let them cool. Once they cool down, flip them and then bake them for 5 more minutes.
Fill them up, eat them, and enjoy!
These should store in the fridge for several days if you don't eat them right away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up