Alina's Creamy Pumpkin Soup with Garlic Rosemary Pumpkin Seeds

This creamy pumpkin soup is a favorite of my dad's and so he encouraged me to try it. I love pumpkin dishes, so I was game. He told me that the more creamy you make this soup the better, but since I was shooting for healthy I tried to moderate the creamy factor. If you make this and aren't as concerned about it being super healthy, my dad strongly recommends adding as much cream as possible. I must admit, that would have been a delicious twist. I changed the recipe based on what I had on hand, but it's pretty close to the original recipe from my dad. This was easy to make and would be especially great as a fall dish.



Approximate cost: $4.25. Makes 4 servings.
Prep time: 10 minutes Total time: 40 minutes
  • 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup skim milk (the original recipe calls for half and half)
  • 1 clove garlic pressed
  • 1 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 bouillon cubes
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder or 1 tsp curry powder

Melt the butter in a fairly large pot over medium high heat, and then add the garlic and onion.
Sauté for about 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in the coriander, salt, curry or chili powder, and red pepper.
Cook for a minute. Add the bouillon and water and bring the mixture to a boil.
Turn the heat down to low and cook the soup for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the milk (or half and half) and the pumpkin puree and heat the soup through.
Transfer it, in batches, to a food processor or blender and blend the soup until silky and creamy. I just used my hand blender because it was easier and resulted in less dishes. I'll do just about anything for a few less dishes!

While the soup was cooking I also whipped up some garlic rosemary roasted pumpkin seeds to garnish the soup. Adam and I both thought these were delicious and were a fun addition.
I followed the recipe here exactly. It would be interesting to try candying pumpkin seeds to garnish the soup. Something sweet would probably taste really delicious on top. Maybe next time...

Serve it up and enjoy!


Adam’s taste rating: 2 ladles
Brad’s taste rating: 4 ladles
Healthy rating: 4 ladles
Ease of prep rating: 5 ladles
Overall average: 3.75 ladles

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up